Friday, November 28, 2008

Facebook intrigues

I think I was removed as a friend from a couple of high school acquaintances... I would think it was a fluke, but they are sisters... The only thing I can figure is that they saw the link to this blog, read my post An Open Letter to Catholics who Supported Obama and were offended, having both been raised Catholic and one still openly practicing it, and having Obama's page linked to their own facebook pages. My intent was certainly not to offend, but I knew it was possible that letter would. What surprises me is that rather than (1) tell me they respectfully disagree with me or (2) tolerating my opinion and moving on, they choose instead to cut me off without a word. I seem to run into more and more intolerant liberals these days. Which, golly, I thought I was supposed to be the intolerant one! I mean, aren't liberals the open-minded sort? The ones that are tolerant of ALL viewpoints? I am beginning to believe they tolerate only their views, and have no patience for those who disagree with them. I knew for sometime I disagreed with these ladies in the political realm, and have been offended by various remarks, etc., that I have seen on their facebook pages but rather than cut them off I choose to ignore the offenses because I respect them, and their views, even if I believe they are not in line with the teachings of the Catholic Church. I considered them friends, and quite frankly I think friends deserve better than that. I suppose they think they did the right thing, I mean they could have told me that they disagreed with me. Oh wait, that would have open up a dialogue. And you have to be open-minded to want that. Needless to say I am disappointed in them both, but won't cry over spilt milk. And I could be wrong, there may have been a glitch that removed them both from my list of friends. A huge coincidence, but possible...

No comments: